Whether to clean water or use it for aftershave lotion, these uses of alum will be seen and heard by many of you. At the same time, you hardly know that this transparent stone-like alum is also effective in many health-related matters.This is the reason why in this article of undrugs we are telling you the benefits of some such alum, which you have hardly heard about before.
The advantages of the alum mentioned in the article are merely home remedies, which can only provide relief in the problem. This cannot be called the treatment of a problem. Complete treatment of any disease depends on medical consultation.
What is Alum?
Alum is a colorless chemical substance, which is like a crystal. Its chemical name is potassium aluminum sulfate. It is called alum in English. Appearing normal, this substance has many medicinal properties. Due to the presence of these properties, the importance of alum is important in the field of medicine. We will give you detailed information related to what alum is useful and the medicinal properties present in alum.
Medicinal Properties of Alum
Through the following points we can learn about some common medicinal properties present in alum:
- Antibiotic (microbe destroyer)
- Anti-trichomonas (eliminating protozoal infection)
- Antioxidant (destroying the effect of free radicals)
Types of Alum
Choosing the right alum may be a big question for you. To make the right choice, you must know its different forms. Let us know about the different types of alum below.
- Potassium alum: Potassium alum is also known as potash alum and potassium alum sulfate. It should be used for a long time. Around 1500 BCE, this form of alum is believed to have been used to clean water filth.
- Ammonium alum: Ammonium alum is a white crystalline solid. This type of alum is used in cosmetics and personal care products, such as aftershave lotion and handheld products.
- Chrome alum: Chrome alum is also a type of alum, also known as chromium potassium sulfate. It is a potassium double sulfate of chromium (a chemical element), which is used in the process of making leather.
- Aluminum sulfate: This compound is also identified as papermaker’s alum. By the way, technically it is not alum.
- Sodium alum: This is an inorganic compound, also known as soda alum. This white solid is used in the production of baking powder and as a food additive. It can also be called eating alum.
- Selenate alum: A type of alum that contains selenium instead of sulfur.
Benefits of Alum
In this section of the article, we are describing the advantages of alum in physical problems, which are as follows:
Benefits of Alum Maintain Dental Health
A cavity in teeth and tooth decay due to this cavity is quite common. Alum remedies can prove effective in relieving this problem. This is made clear by research done by the Indiana University of America. Research has shown that regular use of alum on teeth can help to destroy cavities that accumulate on teeth. Given the fact that it can be said that the benefits of alum may prove helpful to maintain dental health.
Benefits of Alum Remove Body Odor
The use of alum can also be considered beneficial for removing body odor. This is confirmed by research related to alum. Research has assumed that alum has antibacterial (bacteria-destroying) properties. Due to this property, the benefits of bathing with an alum can be achieved by destroying the bacteria that cause deodorant of the body. This is the reason why many deodorant companies include it as an active ingredient in their product. In such a situation, alum can be relieved by using alum in lukewarm water of bath as a remedy for alum.
Benefits of Alum Mouthwash
The benefits of alum can also be achieved as an effective mouthwash. A research conducted by the Ghazi University of Turkey confirms this. Research has reported that alum helps in removing the plaque deposited on the teeth as well as destroying the harmful bacteria present in saliva. For this reason, its use can be especially helpful in maintaining the oral health of children. On this basis, it can be said that alum properties can prove useful for mouthwash.
Benefits of Alum Fever, Cough, and Asthma
Along with other physical problems, the use of alum can also be effective in problems like fever, cough, and asthma. This is mentioned in research related to alum. This research directly states that the benefits of eating alum can show positive results in cough, whooping cough, asthma, and malaria and thyroid fever. Given the fact that alum properties can to some extent demonstrate beneficial results in these three problems.
Benefits of Alum Urinary Tract Infection
The benefits of eating alum can also be helpful in problems associated with urinary tract infection. According to a report, alum can act to stop heavy bleeding from the bladder, which can be caused by an infection. Alum is an effective astringent, which can work effectively on the bleeding part. On this basis, it can be assumed that the benefits of alum can also be helpful in urinary tract infection.
Get Rid Of Lice
The benefits of alum can also prove useful for hair. Lice is a common hair problem. The use of alum can be beneficial for getting relief from this. Actually, the Indian Journal of Dermatology research related to Ayurvedic treatment to get relief from lice confirms this. Research suggests several remedies to relieve lice, including alum. Research has suggested that using alum as a paste to relieve lice may prove beneficial on the scalp.
For Cuts and Wounds
Wound healing is also found in alum. For this reason, the benefits of alum can prove effective for cleaning and healing minor wounds and also for healing small wounds. This is confirmed in research related to the medicinal benefits of alum. In such a situation, it would not be wrong to say that the use of alum on a cut or mild wound can be beneficial.
The use of alum can also relieve the problem of acne. This reference is found in the research of the International Journal of Women’s Dermatology. Research has shown that due to its astringent properties, it can work to tighten the follicles. Since the risk of acne is high, as the pores become larger. For this reason, the benefits of applying alum on the face can prove to be somewhat effective in relieving acne. For this, it is advisable to use alum paste on the affected area.
Reduce Wrinkles and Reduce the Aging Effect
According to NCBI research related to alum, it acts as a natural astringent. This property of alum can prove to be helpful in healing the dry, lifeless, and hanging skin by tightening the skin. At the same time, given the same properties of alum, it is also used as an active ingredient in many cosmetic creams. On this basis, it can be assumed that the advantages of applying alum on the face can prove to be somewhat useful in the effect of increasing age and in correcting the problem of wrinkles. Nevertheless, due to a lack of concrete evidence, it will be difficult to say clearly how effective it will be in this case.
Eczema and Itching
The beneficial properties of alum can also prove beneficial in skin related problems like eczema and itching. This is confirmed by research related to NCBI alum. Research has assumed that alum may exhibit beneficial effects in many physical problems as well as eczema (a type of skin disease) and pruritis (itching).
Uses Of Alum
In different problems, it is recommended to use alum in certain ways, which are as follows:
For cough and asthma:
Make a powder by grinding 10 grams alum and 10 grams sugar and separate it into 14 parts. Now every night before bed, consume a portion of this powder with a cup of warm milk.
Note – Before using alum for cough, get medical advice.
- For teeth and mouth: Alum can be used as a mouthwash to remove plaque and cavity from teeth. For this, heat a glass of water and add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of alum powder and filter it. When cold, this water can be used.
- For lice: To use alum for lice, take alum powder and mix it in water. Now apply this mixture on your scalp and massage for 10 minutes, after that wash the hair with cold water. After this, do not forget to shampoo and condition your hair.
- For cramps: For this, take an equal amount of turmeric and alum powder and make a paste and apply it on the affected area. Keep in mind that the paste is not dry, but leave it to dry and then wash the skin with lukewarm water. Taking this remedy two to three times a day will relieve pain.
- For injury or wound: Mix one spoon alum powder in a glass of warm water and keep it to lukewarm. Now wash the injury or wound with this water two to three times a day.
- After shaving: After shaving, you can rub alum directly by spraying a few drops of water on the face. Doing this reduces the possibility of being septic.
- For wrinkles and antiaging: Sprinkle clean water on the face and gently rub a piece of alum directly on the entire face (except the eyes and lips).
How to Keep Alum Safe for a Long Time
The following points can be known about securing alum.
- The alum crystals should always be dried so that they can be safe for a long time.
- After use, it can be protected by placing it in an airtight container.
- Talking of alum powder, it should always be kept in an airtight container.
Side Effects of Alum
There is no doubt that alum is a good substance, which you can use for many body related problems, but along with the benefits of alum, the loss of alum cannot be denied. Find out some of the disadvantages of alum.
- Smelling alum can cause a burning sensation in the nose, throat coughs affecting the lungs, wheezing, and shortness of breath.
- Skin irritation and rash may occur as a disadvantage of applying alum on the face in large quantities.
- Eye contact can be severely affected by exposure to alum mixed with water.
Now you must have known how beneficial this simple-looking substance is. In such a situation, you can use it for the problems mentioned in the article, keeping in mind the use of alum. It is easy to use and there is no need to make much effort for it. You may notice some alum damage by applying it, but do not panic in such a situation, instead contact the doctor directly. Hope this article will be helpful to a great extent in knowing the advantages and disadvantages of alum.