Indian cuisine is known for its la-jawab flavors. Many special things are used in food here, including the name of garlic. It is known for its pungent smell and amazing taste. Apart from enhancing the flavor of food, garlic is also popular for its medicinal properties. This is the reason why in this article of undrugs. we are going to tell the benefits of garlic.
Here you will know how the medicinal properties of garlic can have a positive effect on a person’s health. Apart from this, the article also talks about the use of garlic and the loss of garlic. Also, readers should also keep in mind that garlic is not a cure for any physical problem included in the article. This can only be helpful in reducing the impact of the problem to some extent.
Some Interesting Facts
There are believed to be more than 300 varieties of garlic worldwide.
- National Garlic Day is celebrated on 19 April.
- Garlic was used as an antiseptic for wound infections in the First and Second World Wars.
- Garlic can be mixed with vinegar and lemon juice and used as a disinfectant.
- There are some people who are really worried about garlic. It is a phobia and is also named ‘Alliumphobia’.
- Dogs and cats should be kept away from garlic, as it may be toxic to them.
- In ancient Greece, bouquets made of garlic and other herbs were given at wedding ceremonies.
- Greek and Roman soldiers are believed to have consumed garlic before the war.
Types Of Garlic
We mentioned above that there are more than 300 varieties of garlic. Now it is not possible to tell everyone, but here we are giving information about some main types. Actually, garlic is divided into two classes – softneck and hardneck.
- Softneck Garlic – It can be easily stored. The common garlic found in stores is softneck garlic. It tastes mild. It is commonly used daily in the kitchen.
- Hardneck Garlic – Hardneck garlic cannot be stored for more days than softneck garlic. Its taste is slightly different from normal garlic. Hardneck garlic peel can be removed easily. Kashmiri garlic or Himalayan falls under the category of garlic hardneck. This garlic is grown in a pure environment. In fact, it is cultivated in the lowland areas of the Himalayas. The benefits of eating Kashmiri garlic are many.
There was a time when, like today, there were no drug shops everywhere. At that time garlic was used in Ayurvedic treatment. Garlic is rich in anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral properties.
It contains allicin and sulfur compounds. In addition, garlic also contains compounds such as Ajoene and Allein, which make garlic a more effective medicine. Due to these elements and compounds, garlic tastes bitter, but these components also give garlic the ability to cure the infection. The article further explains the medicinal properties of garlic.
Health Benefits Of Garlic
Here we are telling how this garlic is beneficial for body related problems.
Benefits Of Garlic In Weight Loss
Garlic may prove to be somewhat helpful in preventing increasing weight. Its anti-obese properties can help reduce obesity due to diet, in addition to garlic consumption can promote thermogenesis (Thermogenesis – the process of heat production in the body), which can help in fat burning.
Garlic can relieve obesity due to their unique properties. In addition, research published on the National Center for Biotechnology Information website also found that the anti-obese properties in garlic oil can also be effective on the problem of increased weight due to the high-fat diet (HFD).
High Blood Pressure
Consuming garlic as a home remedy in high blood pressure may prove useful. Actually, garlic contains the bioactive sulfur compound, S-allyl cysteine, which can reduce blood pressure to 10 mmHg (systolic pressure) and 8 mmHg (dialytic pressure).
Sulfur deficiency can also cause high blood pressure, so giving the body a diet containing organosulfur compounds can help stabilize blood pressure.
Benefits Of Garlic In Cholesterol Prevention
Garlic can also be beneficial in lowering cholesterol. US scientists have found in one of their investigations that the consumption of chronic garlic can help reduce the level of LDL cholesterol (which is harmful cholesterol) in the body.
In addition, the anti-hyperlipidemia properties present in it may help reduce total cholesterol and harmful cholesterol. Right now, more scientific research is required about this, but a person can consume garlic to keep himself healthy.
Garlic properties may be beneficial for garlic to some extent. According to some studies done on humans and animals, garlic has certain cardioprotective properties. In addition, it can help to keep the heart healthy by reducing cholesterol. However, further research is still needed on the benefits of garlic for the heart.
Benefits Of Garlic In Diabetes
It may also be beneficial for diabetics to include garlic in their diet. Indeed, according to research published by NCBI, garlic consumption for one to two weeks proved beneficial in controlling sugar in patients with type diabetes. In addition, it may also be beneficial in controlling cholesterol. However, more concrete evidence is still needed.
At the same time, if someone who is suffering from diabetes wants to consume garlic, raw garlic can be beneficial for him. According to research, raw garlic can be helpful in reducing the amount of sugar. In addition, the anti-diabetic properties present in garlic may also be helpful in reducing the risk of diabetes.
For those who have asthma, garlic can be beneficial to some extent. According to a study conducted on animals in this subject, the use of garlic may be beneficial to some extent.
At the moment, more research is still needed on this. In addition, if an asthmatic patient has an allergic problem, use garlic only on medical advice as it may cause allergic problems.
Benefits Of Garlic In Colds and Fever
Many times people recommend eating garlic to prevent colds or fever. A 12-week study on the NCBI website found that consuming garlic supplements containing allicin (allicin – a type of compound) could reduce the risk of a cold cold problem.
At the same time, another study found that a high dose (2.56 grams per day) of chronic garlic extracts may improve immunity, reducing the risk of colds or colds. These researches suggest that garlic may to some extent protect against the risk of colds, but further studies are still needed.
Bones and Arthritis
Garlic can also be very beneficial for bones. Consumption of raw garlic or garlic-rich medicine may help calcium absorption in the body, thereby relieving the problem of osteoporosis (osteoporosis – weakening of bones).
In addition, the sulfur compound present in garlic has anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic properties, which may reduce the risk of arthritis.
For those who have liver inflammation, consuming garlic buds in a limited quantity may prove useful. Scientists found that S-allylmar captocysteine (SAMC-a type of compound) found in garlic may be helpful in the treatment of non-alcoholic fatty liver and may also help protect against any type of liver injury.
At the same time, garlic oil is rich in antioxidative properties, which can be beneficial for liver inflammation (fatty liver problem). If someone has a serious liver problem, then it is our opinion that instead of home remedies, give priority to medical treatment.
Immune power is necessary to keep the body healthy. In this case, consuming garlic buds can prove to be helpful in improving immunity. Garlic contains many compounds, which can be beneficial for immunity.
This can be more beneficial when the garlic is old (Aged Garlic). In addition, researchers have also found that eating garlic can increase the number of immune cells in the body in many ways.
UTI or Kidney Infection
Garlic can also help in the prevention of kidney infections. Scientists have found that garlic can help prevent the growth of P. aeruginosa (Pseudomonas aeruginosa – a type of bacteria) responsible for UTIs and kidney infections.
In addition, the allicin compound present in garlic may also be helpful in reducing the risk of kidney problems. Right now, more research is needed on this, but individuals can consume garlic to keep themselves healthy.
Benefits Of Garlic In Intestines
Consuming garlic can also be beneficial for the stomach and intestines. According to research conducted on mice, the use of garlic may be helpful in preventing small intestine damage.
At the same time, its antimicrobial property can help prevent harmful bacteria from forming by differentiating between the intestinal beneficial microflora and the harmful enterobacteria. However, remember that excessive intake of garlic can also cause chest irritation or stomach upset.
Garlic can also help reduce the risk of cancer if it is talked about. This may be due to the anti-cancer properties present in it. However, cancer is a serious disease, so do not forget to think of garlic as its treatment. The first priority for cancer is medical treatment.
Garlic can also be beneficial in mild ear infections or pain in children. Indeed, ear drops made from natural ingredients, including garlic extract, may be beneficial. Keep in mind that it can be effective only in normal ear pain. If a child is constantly suffering from earache, then seek medical advice.
When there is discontinuation between free radicals and antioxidants in the body, it is called oxidative stress. At the same time, when free radicals grow in the body, there can be many problems in the body such as diabetes, heart disease, and other problems.
In such a situation, the use of garlic can be helpful in reducing oxidative stress. According to research done on mice, the antioxidant properties present in garlic may reduce the oxidative stress caused by cisplatin (Cisplatin – a drug used in the treatment of cancer).
Consuming garlic can also help in keeping the eyes healthy. Actually, Acanthamoeba, a type of amoeba, can cause eye infections, especially keratitis (Keratitis – the cornea, the transparent part of the front of the eye when it becomes inflamed).
Garlic may be beneficial here, as it has amoebicidal (amoebicidal – amoeba-eliminating) properties, which can protect the amoeba to reduce the risk of infection to the eyes to some extent. At the moment, further research needs to be done on this topic.
Absorption Of Iron And Zinc
Many types of nutrients are necessary to keep the body healthy and iron and zinc are included in them. Garlic intake can help in absorption in the body by positively affecting both iron and zinc present in foods. Therefore, if someone is deficient in iron or zinc, he can include garlic in his diet.
Benefits Of Garlic In Blisters
Blisters are caused by the herpes simplex virus. These are usually painful blisters that may occur around the lips and nose. In addition, they are also contagious. In this case, the consumption of garlic can be helpful in preventing the problem of mouth blisters.
Due to the antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties present in garlic, one can get relief from the cold sore problem. However, there is no solid scientific evidence available about this, so it is only based on conjecture.
Allicin present in garlic has antimicrobial properties, which may help eliminate the bacteria of the mouth, which causes gum infection. In addition, scientists found mouthwash containing garlic extracts effective. As such, the use of toothpaste or mouthwash containing garlic may be beneficial to protect against the risk of the cavity.
Acne and pimples can be many, and bacteria are one of them. In such a situation, the use of garlic can prevent acne. However, there is no scientific evidence yet, but the anti-bacterial properties present in garlic may be beneficial here.
Psoriasis is a type of skin disease in which itching begins and the skin becomes red. The disease mostly affects the skin of the head, elbows, and knees. The effect of this disease can be reduced by the consumption of garlic.
Garlic contains compounds such as diallyl sulfide and agen. These compounds can inactivate the nuclear transmission factor-kappa B (which causes psoriasis). Due to which the risk may be reduced.
Many times, people have premature wrinkles on their skin. Actually, this happens due to wrong eating, stress, harmful rays of the sun, and changing lifestyle. If garlic is consumed in this way, then premature wrinkles can be avoided.
Garlic contains S-allyl cysteine (S-allyl cysteine - a type of compound), which may help protect the skin from wrinkles caused by the sun’s harmful rays.
It is normal for women to have a stretch mark on their body after pregnancy, increasing weight, or after one age. Every day women try some remedies to get rid of the stretch mark.
Although it is difficult to completely erase the stretch marks, it can be reduced with the help of Garlic. However, no scientific evidence is available about this. It is just based on assumptions.
The use of garlic can also be beneficial for hair. Indeed, according to research published by the NCBI, a mixture of garlic gel and betamethasone Valerate can protect against the problem of Alopecia Areata (Alopecia Areata-Hair Loss). If the problem is more, do not delay in getting medical advice.
Uses Of Garlic
- A limited amount of garlic may be included in the diet.
- One can eat raw or dry garlic buds on an empty stomach every day. Please consult your doctor before use.
- If desired, one or two garlic buds can be finely chopped and mixed into spinach smoothie and consumed. The method of eating this raw garlic is slightly different.
- You can also eat garlic by adding it to vegetables or soups daily.
- You can also drink garlic tea.
- Some buds of garlic can be roasted in ghee and eaten.
- Take two to three garlic buds mixed with green onions, broccoli, and beetroot juice. If anyone is allergic to any of these things, please consult your doctor once.
- By heating garlic buds in mustard oil, it can be used for joint pain.
Right Time and Right Way to Eat Garlic
- Talking about the right time to eat garlic, it can be used in the afternoon or dinner. Apart from this, it can also be used in vegetable soup in the evening. At the same time, talking about its way of eating, it can be used in food by making a paste. At the same time, some people roast their buds and also use it in food. It would be good to get the right opinion from the Dietician.
- After knowing how to eat garlic, now comes the turn to know some tips to keep it safe for a long time. Know how to keep garlic safe for a long time?
- Below we are going to show how to keep garlic safe for a long time-
- Do not keep garlic in the fridge, keep it in a ventilated place.
- Do not pack fresh garlic. By doing this, garlic can germinate and spoil.
- Break the tubers of garlic according to the need and remove the buds, as the buds get spoiled faster than whole garlic.
Side Effects of Garlic
Know below what happens by eating more garlic.
- Eating garlic can cause bad mouth or body odor.
- If someone is eating raw garlic, they may have heartburn and stomach problems.
- Eating too much garlic can cause bleeding problems. Therefore, if someone is going to have any surgery, do not consume garlic before that.
- There can also be allergic problems with garlic.
Who Should Avoid Garlic
- As mentioned above, raw garlic can cause stomach problems. In such a situation, those who have any stomach problems, then avoid consuming raw garlic.
- If someone is taking blood-thinning medicines, do not consume garlic.
- We have told in the article that garlic is beneficial for the liver, but if anyone has a serious liver problem, seek medical advice before its use. Excessive consumption of garlic can also cause liver damage.
- Those who have migraine problems, do not consume garlic, because its smell may aggravate the problem.
- Those who have low blood pressure, they should use garlic only on medical advice. Garlic is beneficial for high blood pressure. In such a situation, it can be harmful to low blood pressure. There is no precise scientific evidence about this, this information has been given as a precaution.
After reading this article, we hope that the common garlic may have become beneficial for the readers. If it is used properly, the benefits of garlic can be taken. Along with this, keep in mind the loss of garlic and consume it in limited quantity. Our aim is to use garlic carefully because of the disadvantages of garlic. Hope this article is beneficial for you.