Honey is rich in many qualities and nutrients. It has been used to remove many diseases in Ayurveda and in ancient times it is also called the nectar of the gods. Honey is beneficial for health in many ways, as well as it can be helpful in warding off weakness and diseases.
In this article of undrugs, we will learn about the quality of honey. it is better to get treatment by a doctor. The information given in this article regarding the advantages and disadvantages of honey is based on many types of research. Most of this research has been done on animals and some on humans.
Types of Honey
You will find different types of honey in the market, which are known in the following forms:
- Manuka honey
- Clover honey
- Leather Wood Honey
- Buckwheat Honey
- Alfalfa honey
- Rosemary Honey
- Blueberry Honey
- Lavender honey
Benefits of Honey
Just as honey is rich in many qualities, its benefits are countless. Here we are telling you how honey can prove beneficial for health.
1. Benefits of Honey in Weight Loss
According to research published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information), honey has properties to prevent weight gain and it slows down the speed of weight gain.
In addition, the properties of honey may also be effective in reducing weight to some amount. Another research available by NCBI also says that honey can be used as a medicine to control obesity. It can be said on this basis that honey has an anti-obesity effect.
2. Benefits of Honey to Reduce Stress
Talking of research published on the NCBI website, Raw Honey has an antidepressant effect. Due to this effect honey has depression or stress-reducing properties.
Another research also says that consuming honey can reduce stress. Along with reducing anxiety, the properties of honey can also improve memory. Yes, if someone is under severe stress or depression, they should be treated by a doctor without delay.
3. Honey for Diabetes
A problem like diabetes can also be avoided by consuming honey. Research in mice has proved in this regard that honey has antidiabetic and hypoglycemic properties.
This property may help in reducing the level of glucose present in the blood and in controlling diabetes. Of course, honey can control diabetes, but the patient suffering from this problem should take it only on the advice of a doctor. Also, the medication should be taken regularly.
4. Benefits of Honey for Burns and Wounds
Honey can be used on burns and to improve the condition of wounds. A research published on the NCBI website has shown that honey can not only be helpful in curing burns but can also be beneficial in healing wounds.
Research has found that honey has anti-infection, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and wound healing properties. These properties found in honey can be beneficial in wound healing along with reducing skin burning to some amount.
However, in the case of severe burns and wounds, it would be better to checkup the doctor instead of using honey.
5. Honey For Blood Pressure
Blood pressure problems can cause serious illnesses. Honey can be useful to overcome this problem.
Research on animals found that honey contains a flavonoid called quercetin. This quercetin may be helpful in reducing the blood pressure problem to some amount.
6. Honey Fights Cholesterol
Increasing cholesterol can lead to many problems such as heart disease, and if conditions become severe, a heart attack can also occur.
Honey can help control this problem. Much research has found that the intake of honey can reduce total cholesterol, LDL, and triglycerides cholesterol levels. In addition, it may be helpful in raising beneficial cholesterol i.e. HDL.
At the same time, another research has found that flavonoids found in honey can be helpful in reducing harmful cholesterol.
7. Energy Booster
Consuming honey can also help maintain energy in the body. Research has found that honey contains various minerals and vitamins, which can be beneficial in increasing energy levels.
In this research published on the NCBI website, it was also found that honey can be more beneficial in increasing energy than sugar. Research has also shown that honey can be used instead of glucose to maintain energy levels during physical exercise.
8. Benefits Of Honey for Bones
Weak bones can cause many problems, one of them is osteoporosis. Honey can be used for bone strengthening and bone health.
According to research, honey has antioxidant as well as anti-inflammatory properties, which can help relieve the problem of free radicals as well as inflammation. Because of these properties, honey can be used to strengthen bones as a treatment for postmenopausal osteoporosis.
9. Honey For Immunity
Due to the weakening of the immune system, many types of diseases can occur such as cold and cough. Honey can be used to improve immunity.
In this regard, NCBI has published a research paper. According to this research paper, the consumption of honey causes a rapid build-up of antibodies in the body, which may help improve immunity.
10. Benefits Of Honey in Acidity
Acidity can sometimes cause problems like sour belching and vomiting. This problem is called acid esophagitis. Honey can be used to overcome this problem.
Research has found that honey has antioxidant properties as well as antibacterial properties, which can be beneficial in treating reflux esophagitis that causes acidity.
How To Use Honey
Honey can be used in many ways. Here are some easy and beneficial uses of honey:
- Honey can be used as a salad dressing.
- Honey can be added to sugar substitutes in many places.
- You can also take a teaspoon of honey by mixing it with milk before bedtime. There are many benefits mentioned in Ayurveda.
- One spoon of honey can be consumed on an empty stomach every morning.
- Honey can also be used by making syrup.
- Basil, honey, and mango sherbet can also be made.
- You can also drink by mixing honey and lemon juice in a glass of warm water. This mixture acts as a detox. It is recommended to drink on an empty stomach in the morning.
Side Effects of Honey
Along with the positive side of anything, there are also negative sides. Learn about the loss of honey through the points given below.
- Allergies: Those who are allergic to pollen particles, do not consume honey. Also, excess of honey in the food can increase the allergy-related to honey. Honey also bears the name Anaphylaxis, a type of allergic reaction.
- Abdominal pain: The disadvantages of honey include abdominal pain. Excess intake of honey can cause stomach pain. It contains amounts of fructose, which can inhibit the ability of the small intestine to absorb nutrients.
- Food Poisoning: Food poisoning can also come under the loss of honey. Excessive intake of honey can cause botulism poisoning. This problem is found mostly in children.
- Blood sugar: Excess intake of honey can destabilize blood sugar, as it contains some amount of fructose. Therefore, a diabetic patient should consume honey only on the advice of a doctor. Only the doctor can tell the sugar patient how to eat honey
Honey is a natural food item with medicinal properties, which you can use in various ways. The benefits of old as well as old honey have been seen in many cases.
From common physical problems to serious diseases can be treated through honey, but remember that proper intake and use will benefit you. If someone is suffering from a serious problem, then please consult a doctor before consuming it.