Saffron is counted among the world’s most expensive spices. Its color and fragrance make it different. It is used in milk or milk-based dishes. You will be surprised to know that saffron is also known for its medicinal properties apart from flavors. We will explain the benefits of Saffron.
Saffron is a popular spice, extracted from a flower called Crocus sativus. Its scientific name is also crocus sativus and is used as a spice and coloring agent.
It looks like small threads. It is known by different names in different languages of India, such as Saffron in Hindi, Jafran in Bengali, Kumkumapu in Tamil, Kumkuma Pubba in Telugu and Jafran in Arabic, etc
Why is saffron good for your health?
Saffron is a beneficial food item that can serve to take care of your overall health. It is rich in many special nutrients. Eg, fiber, manganese, vitamin C, potassium iron, protein, vitamin A, etc.. Fiber works to relieve stomach problems like indigestion, constipation, gas, and obesity. At the same time, Vitamin C increases the collagen in the skin and works to keep the skin free from anti-aging effects.
The potassium present in saffron helps in balancing the fluid in the body. Ironworks to relieve anemia by helping to build red blood cells in the body. Know below how the nutrients present in saffron work to reduce the problems of the body.
Benefits of Saffron(Kesar)
Benefits of Saffron For Cancer Prevention
The benefits of saffron have been seen against a deadly disease like cancer. According to scientific research, Crocin, present in saffron, can prevent colorectal cancer cells from growing. Apart from this, it can also leave positive effects on prostate cancer and skin cancer.
In addition to Crocin, an element called carotenoids is also found in saffron, in which anticancer properties have been observed. According to another scientific research, the crocetin acid present in saffron may work to prevent pancreatic cancer.
Benefits of Saffron For Athritis
The benefits of eating saffron can be seen for bone diseases like arthritis. Saffron is rich in a special ingredient called crocetin, which can help in the treatment of arthritis.
The advantages of saffron include improving eyesight. Saffron is rich in antioxidant properties, which can show effective effects on AMD (aging-associated eye disease). In addition, the anti-inflammatory properties present in it can also relieve retinal stress.
According to research from the University of Sydney, saffron has been found to be effective in improving vision in the elderly. The test showed that patients’ vision improved after taking saffron pills. Research also suggests that saffron is also capable of treating genetic eye disease such as retinitis pigmentosa, which causes permanent blindness in youth.
The properties of saffron also include relieving insomnia. It can reduce depression in youth, which can help in getting good sleep. In addition, it can also leave positive effects on mental states such as clinical depression.
According to scientific research, the cocaine present in saffron may promote sleep.
The benefits of eating saffron can also be seen for brain health. According to scientific research, consuming 30 milligrams of saffron a day can improve the condition of Alzheimer’s patients. Antidepressant properties have been observed in extracts from two special ingredients in saffron, crocin, and ethanol, which can reduce depression. In addition, saffron may also show positive effects on patients with schizophrenia (mental disorder).
A study on cerebral ischemia may also show saffron extracts. Another research suggests that saffron may also work to enhance memory.
Treatment of Asthma
Saffron has been used since ancient times for respiratory problems. The use of saffron in traditional medicine is also mentioned, but research on it is limited. Therefore, please consult your doctor for more information.
Saffron may play an important role in promoting digestion and treating digestive disorders through its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It may also show benefits in treating peptic ulcer and ulcerative colitis.
Can Heal Wounds
Saffron can also heal wounds, especially those that are caused by burns. This particular food item has been found effective in treating burn wounds.
Immune and energy levels
The carotenoids present in saffron can positively improve the immune system. One study has found that 100 mg of saffron daily may be helpful for temporary immunomodulatory activity without any harmful effects.
A scientific study found saffron extracts to be active in enhancing antibody response. Saffron is believed to improve energy levels, but exact evidence is not available yet.
The benefits of saffron have also been seen in pregnancy. In one scientific research, the number of C-sections among women consuming saffron was also low.
Relief In Menstrual
The role of saffron can be seen in relieving menstrual symptoms. An Iranian herbal medicine containing saffron was found to be effective in relieving primary dysmenorrhea (abdominal cramps during menstruation). However, more research is needed on the symptoms of menstruation and saffron.
The benefits of saffron also include antioxidant properties, which help to keep the artery and blood vessels healthy. The anti-inflammatory properties of saffron have a positive effect on the heart. Saffron is considered a major source of riboflavin, which acts as an important vitamin for the heart.
Not only this, the crocetin present in it regulates the cholesterol level in the blood and reduces the severity of atherosclerosis. Saffron can also lower blood pressure, which causes heart attacks.
According to one study, saffron may show its positive effect on patients suffering from liver metastasis with cancer. Saffron can provide protection if the lever is damaged. It may also be effective in the treatment of liver toxicity.
Improve Sexual Life
Saffron can improve sexual life in humans. According to scientific research, saffron can be beneficial for the male reproductive system. Research has suggested that saffron extracts and the crocins present in it may act to increase arousal.
Saffron has been found effective in conditions such as semen formation and male infertility. However, it does not increase sperm count but may help in the treatment of male infertility.
Crocin is also found in saffron, which can reverse the damage to the male reproductive system with the use of nicotine.
Relief of pain and swelling
Saffron is rich in anti-inflammatory properties, so it can work to relieve pain-soo / mass. Research has confirmed that saffron may play a protective role in the condition of ‘acute kidney injury’ due to ischemia (decreased blood flow). Saffron extracts have anti-inflammatory properties.
Several sources also point out that saffron improves blood flow and promotes the formation and repair of cells, as well as treating fever and toothache. However, further research is still needed on this topic. Before using saffron for any of these diseases, please consult your doctor.
Benefits of Saffron for Skin
Saffron can also help you to make the skin shiny. It is enriched with antioxidants like Vitamin C, which works to keep the skin away from the sun’s rays and free radicals. By which the skin’s natural glow remains. Know below to get glowing and smooth skin, you can make a face pack of saffron in this way
- How to use:
- Take 1 teaspoon sandalwood powder, 2-3 saffron threads, and 2 teaspoons milk. Mix them all well.
- Wash the face with clean water and wipe thoroughly with a cloth.
- Now apply the prepared saffron mixture on your face and massage on the phase for a while.
- Leave the mixture on the face for 20 minutes and then wash the face with clean water.
- For best results, you can repeat this process once or twice a week.
Shining Clean Skin
Saffron can be beneficial for getting naturally glowing clear skin. As we mentioned above, Kaiser contains vitamin C and vitamin C has lightening properties, which works to make the skin glow. Learn how to use saffron below.
- How to Use:
- Soak a few threads of saffron in milk for two hours.
- Now rub this milk all over your face and neck.
- Wash face and neck after few minutes.
- By using it regularly, you can get naturally glowing clear skin.
- You can also use this method of saffron for face –
- Soak chironji and saffron in milk and keep it overnight.
- Grind this mixture in the morning and apply it on the face and neck.
- Once the mixture has dried thoroughly, wash it with clean water.
- You can take saffron with milk to make the face attractive. Of course, many people give saffron mixed milk to expectant mothers, so that the unborn child can get a fair and glowing color, but there is no precise evidence to support this.
- Apart from this, you can use saffron in bathwater. For this, you put some threads of saffron in the warm water of bath for 20 minutes and take bath. This method of saffron can also cleanse your skin color.
Treatment of Pimples and Stains
A special element in saffron is enriched with crocetin and according to research, crocetin can treat pimples. In addition, the vitamin C present in saffron keeps the face away from free radicals and harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun, which can protect the skin from stains.
- How to use
- Make a paste of 10-12 fibers of saffron with five to six basil leaves and apply it on your face.
- Leave the paste on the face for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash the face with clean water.
- By using saffron and basil in this way, you can get rid of acne and blemishes. Basil leaves work to eliminate pimples and rash-causing bacteria. For facial spots, you can apply saffron milk on the face twice daily.
Treatment of lifeless skin
You can use saffron to make the skin look attractive. Here also, the effect of vitamin C present in saffron can be seen on the skin. Vitamin C keeps the skin away from harmful rays, dirt and makes the skin healthy. Learn how to use saffron below.
- How to use:
- Put two or three threads of saffron in a spoonful of water and leave it overnight.
- The color of the water will turn yellow the next morning.
- Now add one spoon of milk, 2-3 drops of olive or coconut oil and a pinch of sugar to this saffron water.
- Then dip a piece of bread in this mixture and apply it on your face.
- Allow it to dry for 15 minutes, then wash off with clean water.
- This mask will erase lifeless skin as well as a dark circle
You can use saffron for glowing skin. Saffron works to promote the natural color of the skin.
- How to use:
- Mix some saffron threads well in honey as needed.
- Now apply this mixture on your face and massage it.
- This process will help in blood circulation by providing oxygen to the skin. Regularly using this face pack will give your face a glowing complexion.
Makes Your Skin Tone
Saffron can help with toning your skin. Here also the benefits of vitamin C present in saffron can be seen. Vitamin C is known as an effective skin toner. To tone the skin, you have to soak some fibers of saffron in rose water and apply it on your face after scrubbing the face.
Saffron can also be used to improve skin texture. Saffron is rich in Vitamin C, which also works to improve skin texture.
- How to use
- Boil half a cup of water for 10 minutes.
- Mix four to five threads of saffron and four teaspoons of milk powder in this water.
- Apply this mixture on your face when it is cold.
- Leave the mixture on the face for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash the face with cold water.
- This is how you can improve your facial texture
Treatment of dry skin
If your skin is dry, you can make a face mask with lemon and saffron. Saffron is rich in vitamin C and vitamin C can work effectively on dry skin. Know below which process can make a face mask of saffron and lemon.
- How to use:
- Mix a few drops of lemon juice with one teaspoon saffron powder.
- If your skin is drier, you can add a few drops of milk to it.
- Mix well until the mixture becomes soft.
- Now apply it on the face and leave it to dry for 20 minutes. Later wash face with clean water
Saffron extracts are believed to have been used in the past to treat wounds of wounded warriors during battle. Saffron extracts are rich in healing properties, which can serve to heal wounds quickly.
Now you must have known the benefits of eating saffron for health and skin, further know the properties of saffron for hair.
Benefits of Saffron for Hair
Prevents hair loss
The benefits of eating saffron for hair are many. Saffron is rich in antioxidant properties like Vitamin A and can relieve you from the problem of hair loss.
- How to use:
- Soak a few threads of saffron in the milk as required and add licorice to the mixture.
- Mix the mixture well and make a paste.
- Now apply the mixture well on scalp and hair.
- Leave the mixture for 15 minutes and then wash the head with cold water.
- Repeat this process twice a week for hair.
Uses Of Saffron(Kesar)
- You can drink some threads of saffron or mix the saffron powder in a glass of milk before going to bed at night.
- Saffron can be used in milk-made dishes such as kheer, mithi, etc.
- You can also use saffron powder to make non-veg dishes like chicken.
- You can use saffron to make rice dishes (pulao or biryani).
- How much
- Use a pinch of saffron powder or three to four saffron threads in a glass of milk.
- One-fourth teaspoon to half teaspoon saffron powder can be used for chicken or rice dishes.
Side Effects Of Saffron(Kesar)
- Saffron is a beneficial food, whose losses are rarely seen. However, excessive intake can cause the following problems –
- Saffron is rich in calcium and excessive amounts of calcium can cause gas, abdominal bloating, and constipation.
- Potassium is found in plenty in saffron, which can cause hyperkalemia (excess potassium in the body). Which can cause chest pain, shortness of breath, nausea, and vomiting?